Search This Blog

Monday, September 27, 2010

I Have a Problem

It's a big problem. You see, last summer a friend of mine's sister found out she was pregnant. I thought this was great, an opportunity to learn to crochet. I tried to learn the whole knitting thing with a previous friend's baby, but instead I learned that I'm not a knitter. Rumour had it that crocheting was a lot easier, so I decided I wanted to give it a try.

I have a Grandma that does it all: knitting, quilting, sewing, cross stitching, crocheting... you name it, chances are she knows how to do it. I tell her my plan and she finds me a simple pattern to get me started. I pick out the yarn and bring it to her so she can start teaching me how to do it. Turns out, I'm a natural crocheter! Much better than knitting, I can do it a lot faster and no pesky dropped stitches.

The next day my friend calls and says she has some news to tell me. Turns out, she and her husband are expecting baby #1! This was the edge of what turned out to be a very slippery slope, though I didn't know it at the time.

The last time I checked, I've managed to accumulate approximately 50 pounds worth of yarn in the short time I've been crocheting. I live in a two bedroom apartment with next to no storage. This is a problem.

A lot of my yarn I've accumulated I actually have a plan for. I have the pattern, I've bought enough of the yarn, it's just finding the time to make it. However, I love a good sale. If there's something I know I will need or use reasonably soon, I will buy it. This is also a problem.

My natural skill for crocheting, babies, cute patterns I find, and irresistible sales have led to this:



A queen size bed's worth of yarn. It's mostly Walmart's fault for closing one location so they can move to a new building. They put all of the remaining 1lb balls of yarn on sale for $1 each. Who can say no to that when they're regularly in the $8-$10 range? I've also amassed quite the collection of baby yarn because my friend's little baby is too cute for words and secretly begs to be spoiled by his Godmama.

Will I ever make it through this pile of yarn? Only time will tell. Thus begins my new quest: to trash my stash.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails